Sunday, September 9, 2012



Ahhhhh, Autumn!!!! Can you smell it?  Are you looking forward to the lush oranges, reds, and golds that will freckle the earth soon?  I, myself, cannot wait.  I love when the weather turns from hot to brisk.  I love the smell of the leaves, grass and trees swaying in a slight breeze.  I am hypnotized by the scent of fireplaces starting up, pumpkin patches blooming, and warm, comfort foods simmering away on stove top or crock.  I wait all year for autumn to come around again and when it does I slip into my sweaters and my hoodies. I find my favorite jeans, the one with the rip in the knee, and the bottom of the legs in tatters, and I curl up on my sofa with a good book, my cinnamon tea and if it's just chilly enough I can use my brand new orange throw to wrap around my legs.

Autumn is a time for comfort.  We should use this time to connect with home and feelings of comfort.  It's a time to take stock of your surroundings.  Like with spring, when that is a time to plant seeds, and start new beginnings, autumn is a time to harvest and appreciate that which we've sown.  It's a glorious time to really connect with what is surrounding you. Take stock. Look around.  Do you like what you see?  What you see is a reflection of what you've planted all year long.  If you don't like what you see take stock of what it is you would like to change and begin NOW in taking the steps do so.  If you do like what you see then breathe it in with your whole being, pat yourself on the back and bask in what you've accomplished.  Begin the harvest of blessings and give thanks and appreciation for each one. 

I'm always so grateful every fall.  I look around and I'm just filled with a joy that I cannot even express.  Even if I'm going through angst or turmoil there is just something about a burgandy or burnt orange leaf falling at feet that just turns my view around.  I feel tremendously at peace when these moments hit.  I feel not only bliss, but joy, pure joy from inside and radiating out, and as that joy permeates my enviornment more joy is attracted to it and more prosperity and abundance flows to me.

I place a few leaves on the stove in water, and I start to pepper them with nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice.  I poke at large, navel oranges with cloves and hang them in my home. I start baking apple turnovers and pie, making pot roasts and chili's, and decorating my home bringing in a bit of the outside in with fall colored flowers and leaves.  I start this all in September before the weather has really acclimated to MY mood.  My body is still on New England time no matter how long I live in Las Vegas lol.  I don't care that my air conditioner is still on, to me, it's fall and I'm starting early so I can enjoy it before December hits and I'm into my winter. No! No! No! I will enjoy every month, day and minute of this glorious season! 

So, if autumn doesn't fill you with the same, giddy feelings I'm enjoying, it's fine...we all have our own season we embrace, but all I ask is for you to see the harvest.  To take the time to relish in what you've planted and what has grown.  If nothing has grown, keep watering and tending to it, nurture it, protect it, and soon you will be able to harvest YOUR desires and YOUR joy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment